The course is intended for Master Mariners. It is designed to provide enhancement training for ship captains to further develop and reinforce their know-how and skills in ship handling & maneuvering practices in view of compliance with collision regulations, operational procedures, and safety guidelines.
Integrated in the course program are the Personality Profiling (using NEO Personality Inventory 3) and assessments of Technical & Soft Skills (thru Simulation) and Behavioral Attributes with the participation of Psychologist.
Course Aims & Objectives:
The course aims to enable participants to acquire and further develop their technical skills and behavioral aptitude in handling and maintaining control of a ship and conduct safe navigation in normal and emergency situations, in compliance with collision regulations and taking into account the company operational procedure and guidelines.
- Upon completion of the course, participants should be able to:
apply the key rules in collision avoidance in compliance with COLREGS
- demonstrate the essentials principles of ship handling, including application of the pivot point and use of anchors
- practice methods of maintaining control of a ship when maneuvering involving hydrodynamic interaction forces and shallow water effects
- dramatize the Master-Pilot exchange of information, relevant to the safe passage of the vessel
- apply essential guidelines and recommendations to safely conduct STS maneuvers, mooring, and unmooring operations
- discuss various accident/incident reports involving collision cases including ways and means to prevent such incidents
- demonstrate safe ship maneuvers in various traffic cases & operational scenarios and practice collision avoidance
Coverage / Program Focus:
The course deals with the following subject/training areas:
- Collision Regulations (COLREGS)
- Shiphandling and Anchoring
- Hydrodynamic Interaction and Shallow-Water Effect
- Master-Pilot Relationship
- Ship to Ship Maneuver
- Case discussion of various accident/incident and investigation reports related to collisions
- Simulation Exercises using Full Mission Bridge Simulator
The conduct of the course delivery primarily employs lecture-presentation, case discussions, and simulation exercises.
Entry Requirement / Target Group:
The course is open to experienced Master Mariners.
A Certificate of Completion is given to each participant who fulfills the Course.