This course is primarily intended for Second Marine Engineers and Junior Marine Engineers. It is designed to develop their knowledge and understanding on maintenance, standard operating procedures and refresh their skills in conducting safe and efficient engine watchkeeping.
Integrated in the course instructions is the Safety Management Systems (SMS) in accordance to the industry’s best management practices and considering the guidelines & recommendations of various conventions and regulations.
Course Aims & Objectives:
The course shall enable participants to enhance their knowledge, understanding and proficiency on the safety-related policies, troubleshooting, procedures and tasks, as well as best practices on engine watch keeping.
Upon completion of the course, participants should be able to:
- restate thorough understanding engine watchkeeping
- apply the principles Engine Team Management
- analyze and discuss ETM case studies
- analyze engine room emergencies
- state the principles of good communication
- recognize the importance of briefing
- define and explain the use of Cultural Awareness
- explain the different types of culture
- discuss how culture can affect behavior
- troubleshoot machinery alarms
Coverage / Program Focus:
The course deals with the following subject/training areas:
- Engine Watchkeeping
- Engine Team Management
- Engine Room Emergencies
- Communication in a Multi-Cultural Work Environment
The application and practical activities consist of:
- Case discussion of relevant accident/incident and investigation reports
- Simulation Exercises using Full Mission Engine Simulator
The conduct of the course instructions primarily employs lecture-presentation and case discussions supported with relevant training videos.
The practical activities & exercises consist of simulator exercises with demonstration and briefing/ debriefing sessions using full mission engine simulator focused on safe ship in given alarms & operational scenarios.
Entry Requirement / Target Group:
The course is open to All Engineers (except Chief Marine Engineers).
A Certificate of Completion is given to each participant who satisfactorily fulfills the Course.