This course is primarily intended for Chief Officers, Second Officers, Third Officers and Fourth Officers aboard the company vessels. It is designed to further their knowledge and understanding on navigational procedures on board and refresh their skills in conducting safe and efficient navigation.
Integrated in the course instructions is the company’s Safety Management Systems (SMS) in accordance to the industry’s best management practices and taking into account the guidelines & recommendations of various conventions and regulations such as STCW 2010 Manila Amendment; SOLAS 1974 as amended; COLREG 1972; MLC 2006; and relevant IMO Model Courses.
Course Aims & Objectives:
Upon completion of the course, participants should be able to:
- Restate thorough understanding of application and content of COLREGs
- Apply the principles of the key methods of collision avoidance in compliance with COLREGS
- Restate and summarize Bridge Team Management (BTM) procedures
- Demonstrate BTM procedures
- Analyze and discuss BTM case studies
- Demonstrate maneuvering test
- Identify the type of forces in shiphandling to be dealt with
- Practice shiphandling in heavy weather
- Prepare, validate and utilize ECDIS in Passage Planning
- Explain the capability and limitations of ECDIS
- Identify and apply ECDIS Related Procedures
- State the principles of good communication
- Recognize the importance of briefing
- Define and explain the use of Cultural Awareness
- Explain the different types of culture
- Discuss how culture can affect behavior
Coverage / Program Focus:
The course essentially deals with the following subject/ training areas:
- Collision Regulations (COLREGS)
- Bridge Team Management and Shiphandling
- Passage Planning and ECDIS
- Communication in a Multi-Cultural Work Environment
The application and practical activities consist of:
- Case discussion of relevant accident/incident and investigation reports related to collisions
- Simulation Exercises using Full Mission Bridge Simulator
The course assessment is divided into four (4) areas:
Entry Requirement / Target Group:
The course is open to All Deck Officers (except the Masters).
A Certificate of Completion is given to each participant who satisfactorily fulfills the Course.