This induction/basic course of Dynamic Positioning (DP) involves both the theory and practice of DP Operation on a simulated DP System and is primarily designed to provide the fundamental training experience and essential safety factors required for a DP Personnel/Operator.
Course Aims & Objectives:
At the end of the course, the DPO Trainee should be able to:
• acquire knowledge of the principles of DP;
• acquire basic understanding of how to set up a DP system
• acquire understanding of the practical operation of DP associated equipment, including position reference systems;
• recognize various alarms, warning and information messages;
• relate the DP installation to the ship systems, including (but not limited to) power supply, maneuvering facilities, available position reference system, and nature of work; and
• relate DP operations to the existing environmental conditions of wind, sea state, current/tidal stream, and vessel movement.
Coverage / Program Focus:
Emphasis of instruction and exercise activities deals with the following subject and training areas:
• General Principles of DP
• Elements of a DP System
• Position Reference Systems and Other Sensors
• Practical Demonstration and Operation of a Typical DP System
• DP Vessel Operation
• Power Generation, Supply and Propulsion
• DP Watchkeeping and Watch Handover Procedures
• Supplementary Topics including Human Elements in DP Operations
The induction course will be predominantly theory based with guided practical exercises that introduce the trainee to various DP operational modes. Thus, the conduct of the course delivery primarily employs lecture-discussion reinforced/complemented with simulation exercises
Entry Requirement / Target Group:
Entry to this course is open to all Marine Personnel who hold a valid STCW Certificate of Competence (COC).
Those who are classified as non-STCW students shall be accepted to take training; however, it will be conducted under the course title “DP Awareness”. These students will not be considered at any instance as part of the DP Certification Scheme.
A Certificate of Completion shall be awarded to those who have successfully completed the course and passed the online assessment.
1 Week (5 Days)
This course shall be conducted only upon request