The Norwegian Training Center (NTC) is the preferred maritime and offshore simulator training partner to the global shipping community. NTC was an initiative of the Norwegian Maritime Foundation of the Philippines, Inc. (NMFPI) and established by the Norwegian Shipowners' Association (NSA) in February 1990. It is the first maritime training center in the world to be certified by Det Norske Veritas. Over the years, NTC has led the training industry in the Philippines in excellence and innovation, and provided first-class simulator training and assessment programs.
To be the leading center of excellence in maritime training and competence.
To train seafarers in the highest standard of safety and excellence in maritime operations throughout the world.
SMART Training at NTC
Over the years, NTC has led the training industry in the Philippines in excellence and innovation, and provided first-class simulator training and assessment programs. We are your partner in delivering the highest quality of SMART Training that can clearly provide the value for your investment in:
✓ Reduced OPEX
✓ Improved Safety Statistics
✓ Increased Company Reputation
World-Class Training Environment
Seafarers from around the globe benefit from the state-of-the-art facilities, a reputable team of faculty, and engaging pedagogical practices that make NTC the best learning environment, not only in the Philippines, but also in Asia.
TESDA Campus, which is the first and original site of NTC, offers exceptional learning tools that allow individuals to develop practical experience in culinary, welding, seamanship, and electro-technical.
The other facility located in the upward Mall of Asia Complex in Pasay City is the home to the newest, most advanced, and first fully integrated simulation system in the Philippines, also known as Five E-com Campus. It boasts a total of 30 Kongsberg simulators with sophisticated seaview 3D technology, extensive fleet of ship models, and a variety of challenging scenarios that provide the best and most realistic training and learning experience. These include:
- 1 Full Mission Forward and Aft Bridge with DP 2 (K-Sim Offshore)
- 1 Forward Bridge with optional DP 2 and Aft Bridge (PSV)
- 3 Deep Sea Navigation Trainers (K-Sim Polaris) with GMDSS
- 1 K-POS DP Trainers DNV Class B (K-Sim DP Simulator)
- 6 K-POS Basic Trainers with DP Software (K-POS DP Simulator)
- 1 Offshore Crane Simulator and Slinger & Banksman Stations
- 1 Full Mission Engine Room Simulator
- 6 Desktop Engine Room Simulators
- 6 Desktop Liquid Cargo Handling Simulators
These facilities are supported by a team of highly qualified and experienced mariners who are all specialists in their subject areas. Members of our faculty team are a combination of active and former management level officers, and possess certifications from the International Maritime Organization (IMO) as maritime instructors and assessors. Our faculty is committed to training and producing confident and well-rounded maritime professionals.
Specialized Maritime Training and Assessment
The implementation of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers as amended in 1995 (STCW ’95) brought about new training requirements and academic programs that require every Filipino seafarer to comply in order to qualify for employment on board international vessels. In direct response to the new qualification requirements, NTC designed various upgrading courses, of which 25,000 Filipino seafarers employed on board Norwegian-flagged vessels and Norwegian-controlled vessels had undergone training and re-training subsidized by Norwegian ship owners at no expense to the seafarers themselves.
NTC has been heavily involved in the transfer of modern technology in shipping and ship management principles from Europe to the Philippines. It has gained extensive experience of providing training solutions specific to the customers’ requirements.
Known for highly specialized training and assessment programs, our offerings include:
- Bridge Simulator Courses
- ECDIS Simulator Courses
- Cargo Handling Simulator Courses
- Engine Room Simulator Courses
- Offshore Simulator Courses
- Dynamic Positioning Courses including Shuttle Tanker Scheme
- Crane Simulator Courses
- Marine Engineering Courses
- Electrical and Electronics Courses
- Maritime Safety and Security Courses
- Maritime Management and Leadership Courses
- Deck Works and Seamanship Courses
- Culinary Courses
- Welding Courses
- Competence Assessment Programs and Trade Tests
Moreover, NTC is the only accredited training center in the Philippines to conduct Kongsberg ECDIS Familiarization Course.
Partnerships and Accreditation
NTC maintains partnerships and accreditation with a variety of organizations internationally to ensure that we remain at the forefront of maritime training, including:
- Norwegian Shipowners’ Association
- Norwegian Maritime Authority
- DNV GL
- Philippine Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA)
- Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA)
- National Telecommunications Commission (NTC)
- Nautical Institute (NI)
- Canadian Aviation Electronics Ltd. (CAE)
- Alfa Laval
- Framo AS
- Tero Marine
- Global Maritime Education and Training Association (GlobalMET)
- Philippine Association of Maritime Training Centers, Inc. (PAMTCI)
NTC, throughout its existence, has been supported by the Norwegian Shipowners’ Association. In the first quarter of 2016, NTC had its biggest simulator upgrade after 25 years through the donations made by the following NSA members:
- GC Rieber
- Hoegh LNG
- J. Ugland
- Thome / TSM
- Fred Olsen