The Norwegian Training Center – Manila’s initial run of Bosun’s Course was from November 4 to 29 with 10 crews from Oldendorff.
SCOPE / COVERAGE
This course is intended for Able Seamen and existing Boatswains. It is designed to provide applied knowledge & skills to develop their capability in performing bosun tasks & duties as well as enhance their leadership aptitude in managing responsibilities and in working with officers & crew onboard. The course covers the following training modules:
• Leadership Skills
• Cultural Awareness
• Workplace Safety
• General Bosun Duties
• Basic Arc Welding and Benchwork Practices
• Paints and Painting
• Waste Management & Environmental Protection
• Maritime Labour Convention (MLC) Awareness (Hours of Work and Hours of Rest)
The course runs for four (4) weeks with total contact duration of 120 hours. It consists of training instructions covering lectures, demonstrations, and practicum/workshop activities.
Upon completion of the course, trainees should be able to:
• gain knowledge & understanding of
the following and be able to relate
these on job setting aboard ship:
– factors of and approaches to effective leadership covering
– the aspects of delegation, communication and energizing people
– different cultures and working within multicultural setting
– the essentials of safe work environment and the requirement for following
safety procedures including the
– use of personal protective equipment (PPE)
• acquire and enhance individual’s capacity in performing the following bosun
– procurement and maintenance stores for tools and materials
– inspection, exchanging, and greasing of wires and cables for mooring
equipment, crane, and lifeboat.
– anchor handling
– hatch cover handling
– sounding (Bosun’s call)
– making and repairs of Bosun chairs, stage and pilot ladder
– splicing of ropes and wires
• describe the fundamentals of arc welding operation including equipment setup,
consumables, and standards; and acquire basic skills in performing arc
welding for making fillet welds on plates/pipes.
• acquire skills in performing basic machine shop benchwork operation for
making maintenance and repair works on metals such as layout, marking,
cutting, bending and forming processes.
• organize and carry out efficient and economical coating system intended for
protection and deck and other metal structures of vessel
• describe and explain the principles & requirements of MARPOL Annex V for
shipboard waste management including management of cargo residues and
procedures for deck washing
• understand the application of the Maritime Labour Convention (MLC) 2006
regulation and conditions for hours of work and hours of rest
This course is open to all Able Seamen and existing Boatswains intending to serve onboard commercial vessels.
A Certificate of Completion will be given to those who have successfully completed and fulfilled the course attendance and activity requirements.
COURSE INTAKE LIMITATIONS
The total number of participants in a class should not exceed the capacity of classroom and laboratory area. During practical instructions/activities, appropriate grouping scheme shall be implemented in view student/equipment ratio.
For more details visit www.ntcm.com.ph